Director of Leadership Giving
United Way of Central and Northeastern Connecticut is one of more than 1,200 autonomous United Ways in our nation and nearly 1,800 community-based United Ways in 45 countries and territories. We have the unique ability, vision and resources to bring together diverse stakeholders around a community vision of creating positive change to achieve long-lasting results for children and families.
To engage and bring together people and resources committed to the well-being of children and families in our community.
Join Our Team! Career Opportunity
We are searching for a Director of Leadership Giving who’s a strategic thinker, mission-driven, team-oriented and has a ‘can-do’/solution orientation. The Director would be excited by working in a fast-paced environment, managing multiple priorities and identifying innovative ways of increasing loyal contributors among specific affinity groups: leadership givers, young professionals, women and legacy donors. The Director is also a member of United Way’s management team, directly contributing to its culture, external relationships/brand, and the organization’s success in raising the financial resources to fulfill its mission.
As the Director of Leadership Giving, you will:
- Identify, qualify, cultivate, solicit and steward leadership giving from individuals/families with emphasis on United Way affinity groups (ex., local/national United Way leadership societies, young professionals and women; philanthropy fund; individuals outside of workplace giving; legacy gifts).
- Manage department staff to ensure development and execution of strategies to attract, retain and grow membership and increase giving to United Way; ensures opportunities for staff professional growth and development.
- Lead prospect management meetings with President and CEO, leadership volunteers and/or internal staff to ensure coordination of cultivation, solicitation, and stewardship activities.
- Initiate contacts with potential leadership/major gift donors, align interests with United Way initiatives and develop appropriate cultivation strategies for them. Prepares President and CEO or designee for conversations/meetings with current/prospective leadership/major gift donors.
- Effectively manage United Way’s Philanthropy Fund including increasing participation and efficient, timely gift processing, acknowledgment and reporting of donor designations.
- Recognize leadership donors in timely, effective ways including annual production of United Way’s roster.
- Ensure confidentiality of all donor information as well as accurate and timely entry in customer relationship management (CRM) software.
- Effectively manage and leverage the Customer Relationship Management (CRM) database and process, ensuring own and staff proficiency in regularly analyzing data and reports for leadership giving opportunity and risk identification.
- Evaluate the effectiveness of strategies, initiatives, special events and overall results for leadership giving and affinity groups.
- Lead organizational teams responsible for increasing membership and revenue through effective fundraising events by United Way’s women and young professionals’ affinity groups.
- Attend United Way events as well as outside events for United Way representation, networking etc.
- Perform other duties as required.
QUALIFICATIONS AND COMPETENCIES:
- Bachelor’s degree in related discipline.
- Certified Fundraising Executive Credential preferred.
- Minimum five years’ experience in leadership/major gift fundraising.
- Perform job with integrity, consistent with the mission, vision, values and beliefs of United Way of Central and Northeastern Connecticut. Adheres to the highest ethical standards; demonstrate empathetic disposition, and perseverance; reflect optimistic and positive attitude, and convey sensitivity to needs of the donors.
- Demonstrate United Way Core Competencies (Mission-Focused, Relationship-Oriented, Collaborator, Results-Driven and Brand Steward); and,
- Knowledge of all charitable gift planning vehicles, including how to determine the appropriate vehicles for specific prospects.
- Track record of taking prospects to solicitation and closing leadership gifts in education/human services.
- Excellent interpersonal and social skills; able to communicate effectively in writing and orally.
- Strong customer-centric focus in all tasks and activities.
- Ability to maintain professional standards and conduct, internally and externally.
- Strong relationship management skills enhancing internal organizational relations, external community interactions, and in business development opportunities.
- Works collaboratively with, and in support of, volunteers and United Way staff to achieve donor, workplace partner and organization needs.
- Ability to relate well with people from diverse groups.
- Holds self and other team members accountable for achieving results.
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office Suite (Microsoft CRM preferred).
- Proficiency in iWave or similar donor cultivation resources.
- Proficiency in customer relationship management software (StratusLive preferred).
- Driver’s license and valid transportation.
How to apply:
Qualified applicants should submit a resume and a cover letter describing 1) their qualifications and experiences 2) salary requirements, and 3) how they learned about the position to:
United Way of Central and Northeastern CT
30 Laurel Street
Hartford, CT 06106
Email: email@example.com No phone calls please.
United Way of Central and Northeastern Connecticut is an equal opportunity employer M / F / D / V.