The arrival of summer is the perfect time to take advantage of marketing opportunities from the Connecticut Office of Tourism, a division of the Department of Economic and Community Development.
Don’t miss out on the latest seasonal marketing activities and news items:
• Open House Day – June 13
• Brand USA MegaFam 2015
• IPW Trends
• Connecticut International Brochure
• New England Travel Showcase
• Short & Long Lead PR Opportunities – Deadline: June 19
• In the News
• Social Media Opportunities
Attend Connecticut Open House Day on June 13!
Plan to attend Connecticut Open House Day on Saturday, June 13! Be in the know about all of the fantastic offerings in your area so you and your staff can share all there is to do and see with your visitors. With nearly 200 participating destinations around the state this year offering free or discounted admission and/or special activities, you’ll want to explore what’s new and what’s happening across Connecticut!
For more information on Connecticut Open House Day 2015, click here.
Brand USA MegaFam 2015
The multi-destination Brand USA MegaFam 2015 visited Connecticut, May 16 – 19. Fifteen tour operators and wholesalers from England, Ireland and Scotland participated.
Properties and destinations included in the itinerary coordinated by the Connecticut Office of Tourism were Mohegan Sun, Historic Downtown Mystic, Mystic Pizza, Mystic Seaport, Florence Griswold Home & Garden, Essex Steam Train, Flanders Fish Market, The Schooner Argia, Hilton Mystic, Inn at Mystic, Yale Visitor Center for Yale Campus Walking Tour, Yorkside Pizza, Chapel Street /New Haven Theater District walk, The Maritime Aquarium at Norwalk – R/V Spirit of the Sound study cruise, Macy’s presentation at Stamford Town Centre, California Pizza Kitchen at Stamford Town Centre Mall, and Stamford Marriott Hotel & Spa.
Many thanks to all who participated in the Connecticut tour! If you’re interested in receiving leads, contact Sue Henrique at firstname.lastname@example.org.
There were more than 6,500 attendees at U.S. Travel Association’s IPW in Orlando, June 1 – 3. With more than 110 appointments with tour operators from the U.K., Japan, China, France, Italy and Germany, the Connecticut Office of Tourism’s participation at IPW this year and cooperative sales efforts with Discover New England were worthwhile and productive! Here’s what we heard relevant to our international market:
• Most operators are looking for experiential attractions
• Most visitors are ages 45+
• Couples still outweigh family travel
• Average vacation holiday is 2 – 3 weeks
• The market for Connecticut is still lead by the U.K. and Germany
• Travel in 2016 could decrease due to the strength of the U.S. dollar
If you’re interested in receiving leads, contact Sue Henrique at email@example.com.
Connecticut International Brochure
The new Connecticut international brochure, Coast & Country, is a 14-page piece that supports the state’s branding, highlighting attractions and destinations throughout the state. It serves as a resource and “lure piece” for international tour operators and for the consumer market.
Click here to view the brochure.
New England Travel Showcase
Connecticut Office of Tourism will be represented at the New England Travel Showcase, an inaugural New England group travel show, June 20 – 21, at the Big E Fairgrounds in West Springfield. If you’re interested in receiving leads from the show, contact Anne Orsene at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Short & Long Lead PR Opportunities – Submit information by June 19
• Short-Lead Opportunities
We’re working with media to place summer stories. Here are a few key topics we’re building our July content around:
o Keep it Cool & Turn Up Your
o Summer Fun Fourth of July Celebrations
o Outdoor Fairs & Festivals
o Dining Al Fresco
o Summer Escapes
o Destination Cocktails
If you have any relevant offerings or summer deals/overnight packages, please share with Jean.Hebert@ct.gov and copy FH.Connecticut@fleishman.com to get them posted onto CTvisit.com and considered for our media outreach efforts.
• Long-Lead Opportunities/Pitch Angles
We’re also working on long-lead media opportunities for the late fall/winter season, with special focus on the following pitch angles:
o Cool Weather Hideaways & Outdoor Activities
o Best Attractions, Events and Places to See Holiday Lights
o Connecticut Made Holidy Gifts & Menu Items
• National Long-Lead Opportunities/Winter 2015 Fall Editorial Opportunities
Below are the national long-lead opportunities. if relevant, please share with us any attractions, deal or offerings that might fit into the descriptions below and we’ll pass it along to our media contacts:
o Parents – Travel: Holiday Mini Vacations (Nov): Features must-visit attractions, seasonal events or getaway itineraries to enjoy with the kids during the holiday season.
o Yankee Magazine – Lifestyle (Nov/Dec): Features the Best 5 Holiday Music Shows in New England.
o Condé Nast Traveler – Ski and Splurge (Dec): Highlights some of the best ski destinations, towns and offerings for travelers to enjoy this winter – both on and off the slopes.
o Food & Wine – Holidays (Dec): Looking for easy holiday recipes, chef cooking tips and top food and drink menus to serve during the holidays.
o Recommend – New for 2016 (Dec): Looking for information on new destinations, attractions and offerings available in Connecticut for 2016.
o Travel + Leisure – Nightlife (Dec): Best bars, unique nightlife attractions and destinations that travelers should put on their travel bucket lists.
Connecticut in the News
Here’s a selection of recent stories about Connecticut that the Connecticut Office of Tourism helped secure.
• About.com, Why Your Dinosaur-Loving Kid Wants to Go to Connecticut (CT Dino Trail, Dinosaur State Park, Yale Peabody Museum, Lake Compounce, The Dinosaur Place, Connecticut Science Center featured)
• AMNY.com, Escape to New England this summer (Mystic Aquarium, Mystic Seaport, Mystic Pizza, Mohegan Sun, Olde Mistick Village, Mystic Outdoor Arts Festival, Hilton Mystic Hotel, Whaler’s Inn featured)
• Boston Globe, Pizzas plus Picassos in New Haven (Frank Pepe Pizzeria, Sally’s Apizza, BAR, Zuppardi, Modern Apizza, Yale University, International Festival of Arts & Ideas, Louis’ Lunch, Claire’s Corner Copia, Consiglio’s Restaurant, Caseus Fromagerie Bistro, Peabody Museum of Natural History, Yale University Art Gallery, New Haven Museum, Atticus Bookstore & Cafe, Fashionista Vintage & Variety, English Building Market, Lesley Roy, Eco Works, Shubert Theater, Long Wharf Theater, Yale Repertory Theatre, Café Nine, 116 Crown featured)
• TravelPulse.com, Connecticut Focusing on Dinosaur-Themed Tourism Campaign (Bruce Museum, Connecticut Science Center, Dinosaur State Park, Lake Compounce, Maritime Aquarium at Norwalk, Mystic Aquarium, The Dinosaur Place at Nature’s Art Village, Yale Peabody Museum of Natural History, Courtyard Hartford Cromwell, Mystic Marriott Hotel & Spa, Hilton Garden Inn Norwalk, Dinosaur Bar-B-Que, A.C. Petersen Farms featured)
• Weather.com, Amazing Bridges to See in Every State (Old Drake Hill Flower Bridge featured)
Social Media Opportunities
We encourage our partners to keep us updated on events, deals or specials. We have a healthy social media community (239+K fans and followers!) where we are thrilled to share partner content. Please email Lucy.Arnold@fleishman.com with your happenings.
In June we are inviting our Facebook followers to share their favorite Connecticut signature cocktail – what it is and where to find it – to be part of a future trail project. Go to https://www.facebook.com/VisitConnecticut to get in on this new promotion. And for wedding season we’re sharing Connecticut wedding venues on Pinterest and Instagram. Please send photos to Lucy.Arnold@fleishman.com.
Connecticut Social Channels – Don’t forget to follow us on our social channels!
• Web: www.ctvisit.com
• Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/VisitConnecticut | Twitter: https://twitter.com/ctvisit
• Pinterest: http://pinterest.com/visitct/ |YouTube: http://www.youtube.com/user/ConnecticutTourism
• Instagram: http://instagram.com/ctvisit