The Council for Advancement and Support of Education (CASE) notes 9 social media trivia facts that you should think about putting to work for your organization.
• 72 percent of adults are on social media now, compared to just 8 percent in 2005. And it’s not all young people either: Six in 10 adults between ages 50 and 64, as well as 43 percent of those 65 and older, have social media presences.according to the PEW Research Center’s Internet & American Life Project
• The Internet is the second most popular place people go to for news,with 21% of Gallup respondents using the Internet to get news about current events – beating out print media and trailing only to television.
• Facebook users are using it more to “like” pages. Socialbakers reports, Facebook users have gone from “liking” an average of 4.5 pages in 2009, to “liking” an average of 40 pages in 2013.
• Pinterest is now home to 70 million users, an increase of 20 million since February of this year.
• In the last 2 years, the number of people accessing the Internet via mobile phone is 818.4 million – an increase of 60.3 percent.
• 45 million photos are uploaded to Instagram every day. The company, which introduced a 15 second video function, is not yet 3 years old.
• 100 hours of video are uploaded to YouTube every minute.
• The Google+ user base grew 33% from June 2012 to March 2013, making it the second largest social network in the world.
• Twitter is the fastest growing social network in the world with the fastest growing age demographic of 55 to 64 year olds, registering an increase in active users of 79 percent.