WINDHAM, Conn., March 3, 2014 – The Windham community is invited to a public workshop meeting on the 2014-2015 Windham Public Schools’ proposed budget. The meeting will take place on Wednesday, March 5, 2014 at 6pm in the Windham High School Media Center.
The budget proposal submitted to the Board of Education by Superintendent Ana V. Ortiz represents a $1,277,100, or 2.97 percent, increase over the current budget. Superintendent Ortiz met with the Mayor and Town Manager to ensure that the increase would be reasonable and balances the district’s needs with the town’s needs and ability to pay. The Finance sub-committee of the Board of Education, district administration and school governance councils have also been involved in the development process.
This year’s budget proposal was developed to represent all students and support continued growth and achievement throughout the district while keeping in mind federal and state obligations. District goals supported by the proposed budget include:
• Developing a PK-8 dual language school,
• implementing the recuperative high school,
• improving teacher quality and retention,
• providing additional learning time,
• creating a college/career ready PK-12 curriculum in reading, math, science and writing,
• providing safe learning environments and
• providing families with the best academic choices for their students.
The Windham community is encouraged to attend the budget workshop meeting. A portion of the workshop meeting will be devoted to public comment. For more information please contact 860-465-2105.