Get your summer off to a great start with these marketing opportunities from the Connecticut Office of Tourism, a division of the Department of Economic and Community Development.
Get on board with the latest marketing programs and news items:
2015 Connecticut Governor’s Conference on Tourism Recap
See the State’s summer advertising campaign launched at the Connecticut Governor’s Conference on Tourism – results, advertising plans, marketing efforts, and what’s new. Connecticut tourism industry partners talk about the Connecticut still revolutionary marketing campaign and its impact on their business. To watch the video shown to the more than 425 attendees at the Conference, click here.
Review the keynote address on “Top Trends Affecting Travel in Connecticut” delivered by Peter C. Yesawich of MMGY Global, a strategic marketing partner with the Connecticut Office of Tourism. Click here for the presentation.
2015 Connecticut Governor’s Tourism Awards Winners Announced
The winners of the brand new Connecticut Governor’s Tourism Awards were announced at the 2015 Connecticut Governor’s Conference on Tourism on May 12th!
Five categories comprise the Awards: Tourism Leader of the Year, Tourism Rising Star, Tourism Legacy Leader, Tourism Partners, and Tourism Volunteer(s) of the Year. Additionally, the Connecticut Office of Tourism honored two distinguished individuals with Connecticut Tourism Industry Scholarship Grants: the Richard B. Combs Hospitality Scholarship Grant and the Walter Schoenknecht Tourism & Travel Scholarship Grant.
New Research: Economic Impact of Travel in Connecticut
Tourism revenue is growing in Connecticut! Governor Dannel P. Malloy recently announced the results of an economic impact study of the tourism industry in Connecticut. The research revealed that the travel and tourism sector of the state’s economy generated $14 billion in total sales in 2013 – a three percent increase from the prior year. The study also noted that tourism supports more than 118,000 jobs statewide – including 80,000 direct jobs – representing 5.3 percent of all employment in the state.
Participate in Coast Guard Summer 2015!
This August 4 marks the 225th anniversary of the United States Coast Guard, and Connecticut is leading the charge on celebrating this monumental occasion. To commemorate our state’s maritime heritage and the Coast Guard’s local prominence, Governor Dannel P. Malloy has designated this summer as Connecticut’s Coast Guard Summer 2015. Major events throughout the summer have already been organized in the City of New London and surrounding towns. Most are family friendly and celebrate Connecticut’s maritime roots and cultural diversity while highlighting the state’s unique partnerships with the U.S. Coast Guard. As you plan your promotions for this summer, keep in mind that Connecticut’s Coast Guard Summer events will provide fun in the sun while honoring those who remain “Semper Paratus,” ready to protect us day in and day out.
For more information about Connecticut’s Coast Guard Summer and to learn how you can participate click here or contact email@example.com.
Volunteer at the First Annual New Haven Food Truck Festival
Volunteer at the First Annual New Haven Food Truck Festival! On Saturday, May 30 and Sunday, May 31, this family-friendly event offers savory New Haven street food and live music on its historic Long Wharf waterfront. More than 30 local food trucks will offer a variety of food selections including Mexican, BBQ, pizza, burgers, desserts and much more. Carnival rides and crafting activities will be available for kids. Craft vendor booths will provide unique shopping opportunities. And, local businesses and sponsors will be onsite offering resources, information and opportunities.
To purchase tickets: http://www.eventbrite.com/e/new-haven-food-truck-festival-on-long-wharf-tickets-16130101568?ref=ebtnebtckt
To volunteer: https://docs.google.com/a/visitnewhaven.com/forms/d/1F6yFOsgaSOEIQmcY4GIDUN4rHaeF-21DnbN7JdmmTCs/viewform
Short & Long Lead PR Opportunities – Submit Information by June 2
- Short-Lead Opportunities
We’re working with media to place summer stories. A few key topics that we are building our June content around are:
- Connecticut Open House Day
- Father’s Day
- Best summer lobster shacks
- Summer vacation ideas
- Roar Tour Destinations: Timed to the Jurassic World movie release this June, we’re pitching dinosaur-themed packages, discounts and more.
If you have any relevant offerings or summer deals/overnight packages please share with Jean.Hebert@ct.gov and copy Kristen.Morea@fleishman.com to get them posted onto CTvisit.com and considered for the State’s media outreach efforts.
- Long-Lead Opportunities/Pitch Angles
We’re also working on long-lead media opportunities for the fall season, with special focus on the following pitch angles:
- Best Places to See Fall Colors Across Connecticut & Leaf Peeping Activities: With one of the longest fall foliage seasons in New England, Connecticut has so many unique places and spaces (all within a close proximity) that travelers can visit to see and experience beautiful fall colors across the state. To help travelers make the most of the season, we’re looking for some of the top fall foliage driving tours and must-see stops along the way.
- National Long-Lead Opportunities/Fall 2015 Fall Editorial Opportunities
Below are national long lead opportunities – if relevant, please share an offering with us that might fit into the descriptions below and we’ll pass it along to our media contacts:
- Men’s Journal – Winter Preview (Nov): Highlights the best destinations and gear to make the most of winter, including everything from great winter escapes to Thanksgiving tips from top chefs.
- Recommend – Hot Destinations and Tours (Nov): Highlights the most popular tours and travel destinations in North America, as well as around the world.
- Redbook – Kidbook (Nov): One-page feature of the 50 best things you can do for (and with!) your kids.
- Yankee Magazine – Lifestyle (Nov/Dec): Features the Best 5 Holiday Music Shows in New England.
- Yankee Magazine (online) – Travel (Nov): Travel editorial featuring Old Saybrook.
Social Media Opportunities
We encourage our partners to keep us updated on events, deals or specials. We have a healthy social media community (239+K fans and followers!) where we are thrilled to share partner content. Please email Lucy.Arnold@fleishman.com with your happenings.
In June we are inviting our Facebook followers to share their favorite Connecticut signature cocktail – what it is and where to find it – to be part of a future trail project. Go to https://www.facebook.com/VisitConnecticut to get in on this new promotion.